Umbau einer Bachmann-Spectrum 2-10-2

• Hello!

This Spectrum 2-10-2 was reworked several years ago. Initially it was delivered by Bachmann as C&IM version.

Photo without flash

The only documented steps are the altering of the trailing truck and the rear frame.
    When out of the box there is a much of unwanted "see through" beneath the firebox and the trailing truck compared with prototype photos does'nt look right too.
    At first there was an tender swap. I got an shorter USRA type tender from an Trix Mikado. And i want it pretty nice close coupled to the loco. To enable this i installed a Roco short coupling device, common on European rolling stock, at the rear end of the loco.
    A spring was mounted to sprung the trailing truck to made an better and derailment free ride. This was also done on the pilot truck.
    Despite of it's size the springs are very soft.
    Next was the look of this Delta Truck. By simply adding two stripes of styrene the appereance became more prototypically.

The trailing truck still not painted.

And painted.

These two pictures showing the loco she looks like today.

There was a lot of work done.

In short terms:
    - reworking the running gear
    - drivers are parially sprung loaded
    - regearing for still slower motion, the prototype was restricted to 30 mp/h
    - shortening of the front frame extension according to blueprints, the Bachmann frame is there too long
    - rebuilding the pilot deck
    - scratchbuilding of footboard pilots
    - rebuilding of the running boards, initially they run straight till to the smokebox front. They were cut in two pieces, the front ladders shortened and the front portion mounted in a lowered position.
    - Kadee #58
    - warm white LEDs
    - 3 safety valves scratchbuilt an mounted on top of boiler. Original there were none(?) safety valves by Bachmann.
    - scratchbuilding an new whistle
    - removing the cab window to open position. On every prototype picture i saw all cab windows were wide open.
    - relettering for my road
    - repainting the running gear and newly added parts matte black. The running gear look semi gloss because ist is really oily and i don not run my locos without oil.

This story has an open end as with all of my stock. It may bee in some years i found some reasons to change, rebuilt, alter and improve it.
    The now wide open cab windows is such an example.

Kleine Ergänzung:
    Bei dieser Lok habe ich wie beschrieben das Getriebe umgebaut. Beim Vorbild konnte wegen der rel. kleinen Treibraddurchmessers und des leistungsbedingt recht massigen Gestänges nur sehr schlecht ein vernünftiger Massenausgleich gemacht werden. Deswegen wurde die höchstgeschwindigkeit je nach Bahngesellschaft auf etwa 30 bis 40 mph, das sind etwa 50 bis 60km/h, begrenzt um Schäden am Oberbau zu vermeiden. Diese Loks zogen zwar alles weg, waren aus den geschilderten Gründen aber recht langsam.
    Bei analog anliegenden 12V sind bei dieser Lok etwa so 45km/h drin. Als ich die Lok dann digitalisiert habe wurde im Lokdecoder selbstverständlich die CV5, die elektronisch einstellbare Höchstgeschwindigkeit, auf Maximalwert gesetzt.
    Nun begab es sich anlässlich eine Treffens von US Modellbahnern mit gemeinsamen Fahrbetrieb. daß einer meinte die Lok wäre wohl zu langsam. Heimlich ohne mir was zu sagen hat er die Lok aufs Programmiergleis gesetzt und versucht die Höchstgeschwindigkeit herauf zu setzen. Erstaunen und langes Gesicht als er realisierte, daß man da elektronisch nichts mehr machen kann. 8| Es war halt kein Renngetriebe mehr daß man wie üblich elektronisch niedergeknüppelt hatte.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Lutz

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lutz K ()